By life I mean the Waitrose Delivery peeps. Well I must have mucked up my online order because I have received enough lemon to make lemon curd, lemonade, lemon pies, lemon juice etc. for a foreseeable future.
Beside yesterday totally felt like a lemon curd day (or evening rather). I LOVE lemon curd, it’s sweet, it’s sharp, it’s tangy and most importantly it’s SUPER EASY TO DO!
Here’s what you need:
– 4 unwaxed lemons, zest and juice
– 200g/7oz unrefined caster sugar
– 100g/3½oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes
– 3 free-range eggs, plus 1 free-range egg yolk
And here’s what you do:
1. Put the lemon zest and juice, the sugar and the butter into a heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl. Stir the mixture every now and again until all of the butter has melted.
2. Lightly whisk the eggs and egg yolk and stir them into the lemon mixture. Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined, then leave to cook for 10-13 minutes, stirring every now and again, until the mixture is creamy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
3. Remove the lemon curd from the heat and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally as it cools. Once cooled, spoon the lemon curd into sterilised jars and seal. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
It’s fail proof I promise you. Then you can spread it on toast, on sponge cake, on brioche… Or you can just eat it as it is with a spoon (try to wait till it’s cooled down or you’re going to burn your tongue BIG TIME – talking from experience here…).
Righty- O I’d better get my bum into gear because I’m a bit late for work (I don’t mean actually late by my contract standard, I mean late by my ‘I lie to be in the office early’ standard).